Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Crochet



Crochet is a process of creating fabric from yarn using a crochet hook. It is similar to knitting and consist of pulling loops of yarn through other loops. No one knows for sure where the art came from. Beginning in the 1800s in Britain, America and France, crochet began to be used as a less costly substitute for other forms of lace. I can remember so well when my grandma would crochet what she called doilies. She would place flat ones on the back of her living room chairs. She would take other flat ones, dip them in homemade starch and put the edges around 2 or 3 glasses to make ridges and use them for table scarves. Very pretty. I also remember my great-aunt teaching my mother how to crochet. I loved watching them do it, but I never learned how. Now I wish I had.

1 comment:

  1. It's never too late! I remember learning as a child how to make the chain stitch. My mom and grandma gave me some yarn scraps which I tied all together and I had a HUGE yarn ball. I crocheted yards and yards of a chain stitch thinking I was making something fabulous. I later moved on to other stitches, but never became as proficient as my mom and grandma.

    ReplyDelete