Monday, April 27, 2009

THE OLD HOMEPLACE
It's been ten long years since I left my home
In the Hollow where I was born
Where the cool fall nights make the wood smoke rise
And the fox hunter blows his horn
I fell in love with a girl from the town
As I thought she would always be true
We raised a family and had a good life
Simple living was all we knew.
Now years have gone - I know not where
And we visited to the old homestead.
It didn't stand where it once had stood
I had such a feeling of dread.
What have they done to the old home place?
Why did they tear it down?
Why did I leave the plow in the field,
And look for a job in town?
Now the geese fly south and the cold wind blows
As I stand here and hang my head.
Gone are my dreams, gone is our old home
All was lost with the old homestead.








No comments:

Post a Comment